My Current Pimple-Free Skin Care Routine (Cool Weather)

Before you begin with this post, do read my earlier skincare post where I’ve mentioned some important tips that I follow till today.


My skin type :

My skin used to be combination-oily in summers and normal-dry in winters. For the past year (2015) my skin has been mostly normal and leans towards normal-dry in winters. I’m not exactly sure why this change has happened, it could be because of the products I had used or a better diet or because I’ve moved to a new city which does not have a humid climate. Because of the major change in my skin type, I had to change a lot of my products – facewash, moisturizer, mask – so that they were suitable to normal & normal-dry skin type. I do not have sensitive or acne-prone skin. I used to breakout in pimples every now & then and I used The Body Shop Warming Mineral Mask to help me cleanse out my skin completely. 

Because of the products I have been using, my pimples have completely stopped, I don’t get breakouts even during my periods….unless I don’t wash my face or don’t remove my makeup & sleep off. Therefore I had switched from the Warming Mineral Mask to a gentler one.

This post is dedicated to my winter skin care ritual, some of the products have been in use since last July and some I started using last December. Together, they help to keep my skin moisturized, hydrated, healthy-looking, glowy and blemish-free.  

Night time routine : I have reviewed most of these products, so you can just click on the names to see the detailed reviews.


I like to take off my makeup with either the Bioderma Sensibio H20 or The Body Shop Chamomile Silky Cleansing oil, depending on how heavy my makeup is and how much product I wanna save. (Bioderma is pricey and never on sale -_-)

Then I follow up with a cleanser. I use Kama Ayurveda Rose Jasmine face cleanser (pic below) to get rid of the residue of makeup remover. Its very effective in getting rid of all that! Since it contains salicylic acid, it also works on pimples & diminishes them. Loving this cleanser since the first day I used it.

Next, I pat my face dry and move onto the Vichy Thermal Spa Water. I guess you can call this a toner. This is one of the main products that helps me get rid of pimples and keep them at bay. The Kama cleanser is the other product.


 I dry out my eye area and apply Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream. Ladies, this is a gem product. I’ve never seen any product work as quickly as this does. In one day of using this I saw a difference to my under eye circles. After 2- 3 days all the shadows had disappeared, only the hereditary darkness remained. I haven’t been able to find this eye cream online & even stores have run out of it. Maybe its discontinued which SUCKS because this is the cheapest retinol eye cream you will get in the indian drugstore T_T Its also multipurpose (see below)

I recently reviewed the Natio Smoothing Facial Oil on my blog & I’ve also updated its review since then, so check it out. I apply this to my damp skin (as the instructions suggest) especially focusing on the drier areas of my face. Earlier I used to apply it with the Emolene Cream, that combo has helped me get rid of dry patches completely. So now I use the oil directly on my skin.


I let my face stay with these products for 30min – 1hr during which I catch up on work and blog posts. Then I apply the Emolene Cream to driest areas or areas prone to dryness, if I feel the need. I wake up with silky-smooth, nourished skin.

How do I get rid of pimples ?
As long as I am loyal to the above mentioned routine, I do not have to worry about breakouts. However, I sometimes slip up. During winters, when the temperatures got really cold, I’m talking 7 degrees & so, I just could not imagine washing my face. On those nights I just used Kara makeup remover wipes and/or Bioderma Sensibio H2O (depending on how heavy the makeup was) and no cleanser/toner/moisturizer. So after 2 days of such horrid lapse of skin care combined with my menses, I did get bumps on my face. Then I got back to cleansing my skin properly and using the Vichy Thermal Spa Water. If there were unsightly pimples, I got rid of them sooner by dabbing the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream. Yea, this amazing eye cream is also a great zip zapper, must be due the retinol in it! I also use face masks, currently I’m partial to the Freeman Chocolate & Strawberry Mask. It is a clay mask that’s less drying than the other ones I own, which makes it suitable for winters :)

So that is it for my night time routine, not much right ? The day time ritual is similar :
In the morning I like to use a scrub like the Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Scrub few times a week, especially if I’m irregular with makeup removal. I have been using this scrub since years because I absolutely love it. Its my go-to scrub during winters and if I feel the need for daily exfoliation. It’s a very gentle scrub that has tiny scrub particles. In spite of the scrub particles being tiny, it makes my skin silky-smooth. I follow it up with the Kama Ayurveda Rose Jasmine Cleanser. On days when I don’t use the scrub I just use this cleanser.


Then I follow up with the Vichy Thermal Spa Water, Neutrogena eye cream & ZA Total Hydration Milky Moisturizer. I top it up with sunscreen, currently I’m using the Neutrogena Dry Touch Sunscreen. Then finally I move on to makeup :)


 I'm happy with this routine because my skin is finally blemish free. I might need to change up the oil because of the summer season and I need to find a new moisturizer once the ZA one gets over ! I love the ZA moisturizer and its going to be a hard product to replace! If you have any suggestions then please comment below & let me know, it will be highly appreciated :D