Natural Remedies for Dry Damaged Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

Its not been long since I started using Apple Cider Vinegar on my hair. I started using it in March this year, and we’re nearing the end of May now. I have stated previously in posts such as My Hair Story tag about my hair problems. The bottom half of my hair is dry - damaged. Any chemical based product I used failed to cure it from being damaged. To top it off, I also started getting dandruff. My hair was pretty much the definition of damaged goods.

Still, I wasn’t ready to chop it off, even 3-4 inches of the ends. I wanted my hair to be healthy again. I didn’t want to be stuck in a constant cycle of cutting of hair to improve it; I wanted to cure it, if possible. I had heard A LOT about the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for hair, and I’m sure you have heard about it too. My mom actually has the Bragg’s Organic ACV in her kitchen, so I used it once on my damaged hair-ends, and I was pretty freaking happy with the results- my hair felt soft, all of it. Earlier, even after conditioner & serum the bottom half of my hair would feel rough after few hours. But with ACV + Conditioner/Mask + Serum, my hair stayed soft till next wash.

Emboldened by this experience, I decided to purchase Apple Cider Vinegar for myself. I couldn’t commit to purchasing the pricey Bragg’s one (but trust me, it works like magic) so I decided to buy the affordable American Garden Apple Cider Vinegar.

Did I like the American Garden Natural Apple Cider Vinegar?
Though the results aren’t as fabulous as with Bragg’s, with every use of the American Garden ACV, my hair was getting softer and healthier. These improvements happened in just two months of regular use. I wash my hair once in 3 days and during every wash I rinsed my hair with this ACV. The American Garden ACV has a VERY different consistency compared to the organic Bragg’s ACV. Its actually transparent and doesn’t need to be shaken. It doesn’t have a pungent smell like Bragg’s ACV.

American Garden Natural Apple Cider Vinegar Bragg's Raw Unfiltered Review India

Are you wondering why I bought the Bragg’s Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Well that’s for getting rid of dandruff, another area where this works fabulously (and I’ll talk more about it in another post). This vinegar claims to be raw & un-filtered, and I believe the claims. It is translucent and needs to be shaken before use. it has a very strong pungent (unpleasant) smell. If you leave it open in a closed room, it will definitely smell up the entire room, my bathroom is evidence. But these discomforts are minor compared to the results it shows to your hair! I’d definitely recommend purchasing this if you are looking for a natural hair conditioner. I didn’t use it regularly as a hair conditioner because I have really long hair {almost waist length} and I wanted to first get rid of my hair dandruff. I was worried this bottle will get over if I start using it regularly for hair & I need 2-3 months before I can repurchase this pricey baby.

Quantity to use - I mix a small quantity of the Apple Cider Vinegar with a lot of water. At first I used to use a 1:3 ratio, but as my hair kept getting better, I switched to 1:4 (ACV : Water) ratio.
I let it run through my hair and hold it for few minutes - just like using a conditioner.

Both are available on Amazon.

Final Verdict - if you’ve been apprehensive of using this kind of product on your hair, a kitchen product that has SO many articles on it you start wondering if it’s all just a hype….I can assure you it meets all hype & claims in the hair department. It is so worth investing in! I wish I had tried it last year when my hair first started becoming unmanageable.

Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar on your hair? Let me know how the experience was!