Base Makeup: Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage Cream DFD, D30 Review, Swatch and Demo

Today I’m going to talk about a product that has been since with me since the fall of 2013, when I did this haul. It is the Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage Creme. I used it a lot when I bought it, but in 2014 when I discovered the Revlon Colorstay Concealer, this took a backseat. Now that I know its shelf life that will end soon, I’ve put it back to use. Brace yourselves for a lengthy review :)


Price: Rs.350 each / $5.6
Qty: 4gm/0.14 oz (also available in 30g)
Shelf Life: 24 months.
Company Claims:
Dermacolor Camouflage Creme is an especially highly pigmented make-up which is designed to correct and cover skin disfigurements, discolorations and tattoos. Dermacolor Camouflage Creme is especially suitable for face and neck. Read more here.
Ingredients

My experience with Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage Creme in DFD & D30:

Packaging: The Dermacolor Camouflage Cremes come in very simple and practical white tubs. They are really small tubs which match the small quantity too. I find it very convenient-it can be carried anywhere, even in the smallest of handbags.


ShadeDFD is a perfect match for my skin tone (I’m NC42 in MAC foundations) and D30 is an orange corrector. DFD is warm shade, it has a yellow undertone.



Texture: Like the name suggests, the Dermacolor Camouflage Cremes have a thick creamy texture. I like using them just as concealers though they can be used as foundation too. I personally find it too much of effort to put into a foundation routine & I already have full coverage foundations that are easier to use. It becomes dry on the skin & I need to apply moisturizer and eye cream before I use them, otherwise it looks dry and settles into lines. It’s easy to apply the Camouflage Cremes with a brush except in the eye contour where fingers give the best and natural results.

Coverage:
DFD gives full coverage over spots & blemishes. I have panda-like dark circles and for the most part DFD does cover my circles, but in the inner 1/3rd of my eye it looks greyish & unflattering. That’s where D30, the orange corrector, is useful.
D30 is a very pigmented orange color & only a tiny bit is needed otherwise the area you put it over will look too orange. I like to use it on my dark circles and around my mouth, both areas are visibly darker than my skin tone & it does cancel out the darkness. According to PopSugar Beauty, the highly pigmented shade of orange works wonders on concealing under-eye circles on olive skin tones. Orange also helps to counterbalance the deep bluish hues associated with extreme under-eye darkness.

Weartime:
DFD lasts for 5 hours on my eye contour before it begins to fade, loose powder helps it last longer. It does settle into some of the lines in my eye contour, but that’s not visible until you see up close. DFD lasts for 8 hours on my blemishes after which I need to take off my makeup.
I can’t tell how long D30 lasts because it’s used underneath. One thing to note is that if you use a liquid product over it like a foundation or BB/CC creams it just disappears. It’s best used only over liquids.

I thought I’d show you how they look over my panda circles but my camera didn’t pick up the effects as well. Even then, here’s how DFD looks individually & over D30.
a) Just DFD (click to zoom)

1. My eyes sans all makeup, just eye cream
2. I dabbed DFD on my eye contour
3. I blended it out. My camera didn’t’ pick it up but the inner corner looks grey if you see it          in person, although it looks nice in the picture

b) D30 + DFD (click to zoom)

1. My eyes sans all makeup, just eye cream
2. I dabbed a bit of D30, you need to zoom in to notice. Sorry :(
3. I blended D30 with my ring finger. If you compare pics 1 & 3, you can see that the darkness is color corrected & looks lighter than before.
4. I dabbed DFD over the area. You can compare 1 & 4 to see that my eye look brighter.

Now here’s a picture with DFD+D30 on the left & just DFD on the right. My camera didn’t pick it up but the right doesn’t look as natural as the left, the inner corner is grey if you see it in person.

Skin type:  I was unsure if it will suit dry skinned beauties but Komal (Delhi Fashion Blogger) has been using this product for years & she has dry skin. I have normal combination skin currently and it works fine on me & Ritu from The Indian Beauty Blog has oily skin this worked well for her. So, I think the Camouflage Cremes will work wonderfully on all skin types!

Overall Verdict: 4/5
The Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage Creme is a nice budget friendly option if you’re in search of a full coverage multipurpose base product. Its not the easiest to use for the under eyes but with practice it gets easier. I like that it’s long lasting, that makes it a must have for summers. Unfortunately Kryolan isn’t easily available everywhere in India, but if you can get your hands on it do check it out, recommended!

*If you're a fan of Kim Kardashian's makeup, you might already know that her makeup artist Mario uses Dermacolor Camouflage Creams for concealing on her.