Maybelline Colorsensational Bold Matte Lipstick - MAT 2 Review & Swatches

If you have read this post and this one, you’ll know how much I was yearning for the Maybelline Bold Matte lippies and how disappointed I was that they had not yet hit the popular malls. I checked out Inorbit Mall after a few weeks and finally found the lipsticks in stock! The same day I had gone to Kryolan in Oshiwara and tried some lipsticks there as well(Read about my haul here), because of this my lips were already really tired.

At lifestyle, I asked the Maybelline SA to just swatch all the colors on my arm. Initially I had planned to try out all the colors on my lips but they were just too worn out. Out of all the colors swatched, I felt that MAT 2 was the least bold. On my arm, under the artificial lights of the store, it looked like a pinky-red. So I put a little of that on to my lips, fell in love and brought it. And here’s where the real adventure starts...


*UPDATE: mybeautyexpress is now crazybeautyland.blogspot.com



I was really wrong, it is by no means the least bold, its just as bold as the rest of the colors. Btw, MAT 2 = Sugar Pink in other countries. When I unpacked the lipstick at home and saw the bullet, I was like, no freaking way, this is not the color I had chosen, I told myself. The bullet is a really vibrant orange-red, not even remotely pink. With great apprehension I put it on my lips…and voila! It’s a really bold(duh!),vibrant pink, with coral undertones which make it different from the traditional neon pink (you know the one which is in the league of fluorescent yellow) and thus more wearable.




The color on the tube doesn’t translate on the lips, but when I took pictures of swatches and of my lips the color came out as a orangey-red aka a coral shade. Photos taken in both artificial and natural light came out orangey-red, no clue why that kept happening. Finally I decided to cover my face and let the light be focused on my lips only, and to some extent that technique helped bring out the actual color of the lipstick, but that resulted in my face looking really pale, which it isn’t.

PACKAGING ~ The packaging is same as the colorsensational lipsticks, but the cap is a matte red color. The “Bold Matte” isn’t printed on the lid, it’s just written on the plastic sealing aroung the tube. After you remove the seal you are left with a sleek lipstick tube. Love!


COLOR vs. SKIN TONE
~ It’s a nice coral pink color, it suites fair to medium skin tones but looks garish on duskier skin tones. My skin falls in the medium category. When Maybelline says bold, they mean it. I absolutely love the color.



APPLICATION & AFTER ~ It’s smooth to apply, but even after 2 swipes it doesn’t completely cover my pigmented upper lip. At first, it doesn’t look matte on the lips; it looks like the normal colorsensational lippies and after some time it dries to a matte finish. The matte finish is definitely drying and I feel the need to apply lip balm after an hour. You need really perfect lips before applying a matte lip color and this one is no exception. Maybelline claims that it is moisturizing, I find that is not at all true. The lipstick will stick to dry bits on your lips.

COLOR vs. STYLE ~ The color is a perfect for summers, but it has a drying finish so I don’t see myself using it much then. However, I find that I like to wear this lip color during monsoons, just to brighten up my look and the gloomy surroundings. It’s a really bold and bright pink which will stand out on each and every occasion. It’s a very fun color to wear; you won’t find this color with any other drug store brand in India for sure.  I see myself wearing this in the comming diwali season.


PRODUCT vs. DURABILITYMAT 2 lasts for 4-5 hours if I don’t apply balm over it , as the time passes my lips become drier. After a proper meal I noticed that the color had gone and left a pink stain behind. Since it makes the lips very dry, my lips look really bad after the lipstick fades. So, the stain doesn’t really do anything for me, I have to reapply the lipstick all over again

*UPDATE: mybeautyexpress is now crazybeautyland.blogspot.com
right after application it doesn't look matte
REMOVAL ~ It comes off easily with a makeup remover. No hassles here.
after sometime its matte This is how it looks on my lips, its not as coral as the previous picture!
*UPDATE: mybeautyexpress is now crazybeautyland.blogspot.com

PRODUCT vs. PRICE ~ Maybelline Colorsensational Bold Matte Lipsticks are priced at Rs.375 in India. It contains 3.9 g and has a shelf life of 3 years. For the color I would definitely pay more, but the lipstick seriously lacks in the quality department and so I feel the price is justified; it’s cheap, but with good reason.

FINAL VERDICT ~ A really unique, bright, fun colour. I really wish it had a better formula. I want to buy MAT1 but I don’t think my lips can sustain that much dryness-drama.
Rating: 3.5/5

If you want to try bold colors without pinching your pockets, definitely try any of these colors. I feel that MAT1, MAT 2 will suit fair to medium skin tones and MAT3, MAT4, MAT5 will suit all skin tones.
 
Eye Shadow tips: Let the lips take the centre stage. I'd recommend a wash of a shimmery "my lids but better" color over the lids and contouring the eye with a mid tone brown color. For liner you can go for winged or cat eye, both will look good. You can also pair this lip with beige and gold eye shadows for Diwali.

Are you liking the Maybelline Bold Matte Lipsticks ?


*UPDATE: mybeautyexpress is now crazybeautyland.blogspot.com